Saturday, June 18, 2011

June 2011?!

Wow, read my last post and then checked the date.  18 Dec 2010!  We were all just remarking how half of 2011 is already gone.  Who turned up the time accelerator!?

Updating from my last post:

Prepping and saving.  They haven't gone hand in hand.  We bought a pop-up camper: a huge one with high walls.  Almost too big to pull with the Pathfinder.  Put a big down payment on it that used up the tax refund and alot of the car fund/unallocated savings.  So I still have a big tent, but an airconditioned pop-up too.

I did use the peanut butter 'jar' to make a first aid kit.  I love it, and it has room for more stuff.  Glad I put tweezers in it because those came in handy on a campout.  I keep the FAK in my day pack, which is my basis for camping.  Need to get another pack for a BOB.

Dave Ramsey would call me an idiot for buying the pop-up.  Oh well.  We still have a good savings, adding to it, and just got Quicken going and building a budget again.  We're still eating out too much, but at least not spending as much when we do go.  Splitting alot of plates because one person can't eat all they give you these days.  It's a good way to get great food that we both want (like Carrabba's Filet Marsala) without spending a ton of money.  So with the budget, and a renewed focus on getting the retirement funds started up again (with more going into my 401k), the finances will keep getting better.  We are focusing on funding Rachel's Music Master's degree over the next 3 summers.  Will  probably be a loan, but we need to have everything budgeted and under control to be able to take on that loan.  Can't do the Ramsey thing here, because we can't wait until we saved the cash: Rachel needs to do it sooner rather than later.

House.  Haven't done much.  A little on the garage but not enough.  Still need to finish the siding and do the soffits as the number 1 and 2 projects there.  For the rest of the house, we need some tree removal, then the sprinkler system, then resod and landscape.  Where's that money coming from?  Didn't do the insulation this spring, but am planning on that this fall before it gets cold. 

New Year's resolution?  Yeah right.  But Saturday morning is still the only time I really have for house projects.

Enough of the boring updates. 

Been checking out a neat EDC (Every Day Carry) website, mainly because the pictures are almost art unto themselves.  I like the basic idea of EDC and having basic tools onboard.  I added a pocket knife today ( Gerber® Paraframe Mini ).  I've got a tiny pinch LED light on my key chain, and added a cheap LED flashlight that I had laying around that will fit in my pocket.  Would really like to add Fenix PD20 penlight, but that is a little pricey right now.  Cool, but pricey.

So here's my EDC:

Samsung Captivate Android phone with Body Glove case (I love the grip with the Body Glove case: the basic phone is so slippery I always felt like it was going to slip out of my hand).  Love it.  Covers so many items in one piece of kit: phone, camera, gps, netbook, calendar, notepad.

Ray Ban sunglasses (don't remember the style, but they are at least 5 years old.  I've got a hard case from the Sunglass Hut in the car where they religiously stay if not on my head, which has kept them relatively scratch free)

Minimal, basic key ring (my car key and fob, house keys, church key (actual church key, although a bottle opener would be good!), led pinch light).  Hate carrying the wife's set when we take the truck.  Actually today, since I have that, I put the car key and fob and house key on a separate ring so I can detach those necessities.  When I give them back to her I will connect that ring to her ring that has the other car key and fob, and numerous other keys that she probably doesn't even know what they are for.

Small AAA LED flashlight.

Gerber Paraframe Mini pocket knife with belt clip.

Front carry money clip wallet (minimal cards/IDs.  Had to go with the front  carry because of back problems that sitting on a wallet aggravated.)

Seiko Blue Face SND255 Tachymeter watch.  Love this watch (a gift from my wonderful wife).  The blue is a wonderful deep blue.  I've actually gotten complements on it, which is a first for me.

Blistex.


When I get my keys back I'll try and take a pic worthy of the EDC site above.




No comments:

Post a Comment